My name is Ben Matheson. I help people solve problems and improve their work with data and web projects.
I live in Anchorage, Alaska. You can find me on twitter. or send me an email.
✨🔔 Recent Work
- 40 Years of Alaska’s Permanent Fund Dividends Adjusted for Inflation. 💸 📈 a Quarto page.
- A experimental SMS bot for hiking maps with Mapbox and Twilio
- building a mobile-focused AnchorageCovidTest.org
- documenting Alaska Governors' Wild Ride on Oil Prices
- 2020 election pdf-scraping + rmarkdown mail-in voting tracker
I help people solve problems using data and technology.
My core data tools are R (+tidyverse), and rmarkdown.
For web, I like Mapbox-GL and D3, and React.JS. I'm betting that SQL and regex will be around forever and am investing in those skills.
I specialize in projects that involve:
- working with motivated and diverse teams
- large, untapped and often messy datasets
- spatial data
- curiousity-driven investigations
- critical analysis and deep understanding of data limitations
- extracting value for decisions and strategic priorities
- clear and crisp reporting and communication
I've worked as a public radio reporter across rural Alaska and have covered the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race several times. ⛰️ I love getting into the backcountry for mountain biking, trail running, and cross-country skiing.
This website is powered by Hugo and uses the very nice Congo theme.